For the Respect of Chicken...

  One thing many people do not know about Eritrea, is the importance of a traditional chicken dish. Chicken dishes are  made for any type of special occasions. A chicken is a very respected animal and there are certain ways to slaughter, butcher, cook and eat it.  When butchering a chicken, one would have to cut it in 12 specific pieces. When serving a traditional chicken dish, the chicken should be accompanied by 12 eggs. When eating the chicken dish, the man of the house's attendance is very important as he should be the one to bless the food and distribute the chicken pieces to everyone. If the man of the house has either passed away or for one reason or another  could not attend the special occasion, the lady of the house should do the honours.
When I went to Ethiopia during the summer of 2009,  a fight erupted  between my mother and my grandmother over the chicken dish. At the time, I had no idea what was going on, but I soon understood what the fight was about.  On Eid, my family got together and we had two delicious chicken dishes right in front of us. A traditional spicy one for the adults, and a milder one for the children. Because my grandfather passed away, my grandmother was supposed to bless and cut the chicken. My mom cut the chicken for the children  before my grandmother got the chance to cut it for the elderly. My mom had forgotten this tradition because she had fled the country when she was young. While here in Canada, she usually gives children the food first, but in Ethiopia/ Eritrea it is custom that the elders receive their food first. My grandmother was very frustrated and angry at my mom and my mom's feeling were mutual because she didn't understand why my grandmother  had left the table in anger. From my understanding of the language I gathered that they were fighting over a chicken, which made absolutely no sense to me! . About a month or so later, I started understanding the culture and tradition in Eritrea/Ethiopia and I finally understood why my grandmother was so angry.
And that is my story! ! !:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment